Thursday, January 19, 2012

NO TO SOPA AND PIPA!

I wasn't aware of both SOPA and PIPA until Wikipedia suddenly had its blackout protest against it a few days ago and thankfully Wikipedia did or else i wouldn't have been aware of this certain thing that concerns me a lot. I am against it. I am aware that this is certain law is being made in the US and i may be living in  the Philippines, but it is something that concerns everybody around the world, especially those who uses the internet as much as i do. It inhibits my rights in a lot of ways and for what reason? Just so the companies concerned could benefit from all these? Just so they could do all selfish acts just because they could? Don't they see how much bad things can stem out of all this? I know they are doing this out of a good intention but it can't be all good when almost everyone can point out something bad in all this.

Is Lamar Smith getting paid by the companies for pushing this act or something? I hope the US Congress would listen to what the people has to say and not just solely discuss everything by themselves. They probably aren't using the internet as much as some of us do for all i know. They could easily say YES to something like this just because it doesn't concern them and want to get it over with. I know that they would probably take in experts to explain some things they don't understand but in my opinion the experts alone isn't enough, they must heed the rest of the world too. You are in your position for a reason so please be selfless and think of the people who really cares about this. PLEASE. This isn't democratic at all.

For those who are still unaware of what SOPA is, Gizmodo wrote a really good article about it. Please read :) The truth in Gizmodo's article that irked me the most was this..


...and potentially disappearing your entire digital life...

The party line on SOPA is that it only affects seedy off-shore torrent sites. That's false. As the big legal brains at Bricoleur point out, the potential collateral damage is huge. And it's you. Because while Facebook and Twitter have the financial wherewithal to stave off anti-circumvention shut down notices, the smaller sites you use to store your photos, your videos, and your thoughts may not. If the government decides any part of that site infringes on copyright and proves it in court? Poof. Your digital life is gone, and you can't get it back.

Here's another one on Wikipedia..

I fear not only for my own selfish reasons but for everyone as well. I am afraid of the sad consequences these laws would have. I fear for the future of the internet. :( I'll leave you guys this video....


No comments:

Post a Comment